Nov 12, 2013

Cousin's 4th Birthday And The Cake I Made!

I won't do this very often, but this is a non-makeup related post. I doubt I have mentioned this before, but makeup is not my first passion. I love all things food. I took a culinary program last year at college and am hoping to take a baking course soon as well. My ultimate goal is to open my own dessert place with a bar, where people can go for after dinner food and drinks. Anyways, that's enough about my personal life, on to the fun cake!

Today was my cousin's son's 4th birthday. She has two adorable kids who I babysit quite often. I love those little guys, they are so much fun! Every year for each of their birthdays my dad and I get together and bake them a fun cake! This year my little cousin wanted a Ratatouille themed cake.

We decided we wanted a cake that looked like a plate pied high with pasta that had the main character, Remy the rat, sitting on top. This is what we came up with:



The cake is a golden cake baked in a bundt pan for a domed shape. We then shaved some off the top to stuff in the hole. A crumb coat of orange flavoured buttercream went on next.

The pasta is yellow fondant that we ran through a pasta maker and the sauce is buttercream mixed with strawberry jam and red, orange and brown food colouring. The character and spoon sticking out of the left side I molded out of fondant and the meatballs are chocolate ganache truffles rolled in crushed chocolate cheerios.

This was a lot of fun to make. I don't often bake things where I get to mold stuff or go to crazy on the decorating. That's it for the cake! Sorry there were no makeup pictures. I might occasionally throw in something I have made if it looks particularly delicious in the future.

What do you think? Would you be alright with occasionally seeing food related posts?

9 comments:

  1. Yes to food-related posts, especially if they're of fun cakes! Seriously though, great job. If I was 4 I'd be thrilled to have that as my cake... heck, I'd probably enjoy it now. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you like the food post too. I had a lot of fun making this. We couldn't believe it turned out so well when we were finished.

      Delete
  2. OH WOW! This is sooo amazing!!!!!! What a brilliant cake :D you did a fantastic job, Kat! I bet he loved it soooo much?! xx
    Gemma // missmakeupmagpie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah he was very pleased! The look on his face when we brought it out was priceless.

      Delete
  3. OMG that is insane! I can't believe you made that, you need your own pastry shop because you are very talented.

    http://diaryofatrendaholic.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Hopefully some day that will happen.

      Delete
  4. Totally cute:) great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is amazing! Well done you!
    :)

    Emily / Glittery Teacups

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!!! Ratatouille is one of my favorite Pixar movies and I'm planning on naming my future rats Remy and Emil :)

    ReplyDelete