Nov 2, 2013

The Hair Chronicles: 2.5 Weeks of No Shampoo

I just wanted to post a quick update of how my hair is doing without shampoo. It has been about two and a half weeks so far, and my hair is way less gross than it was last week. I washed my hair once with baking soda and put apple cider vinegar in it as conditioner about a week ago. You can read about that little adventure here.

After that hair wash my hair was feeling extra gross. It did not help that I stayed up all night afterwards dancing at a Halloween party, so it was pretty sweaty, disgusting and, worst of all, smelly. I decided to give the baking soda wash a second try, even though it was so soon. The second time around I used less baking soda and less vinegar. I was worried my hair would be dried out after two baking soda washes in two days, but my hair was gorgeous!!! There were still a few small greasy patches in random places, but other than that it was soft and shiny.

Since that wash almost a week ago, my hair hasn't changed much. It looks slightly dirtier, but not nearly as bad as it did after the first week of no shampoo! The amazing part is that there is almost no grease at my roots. My hair is not super shiny and healthy looking yet, but I no longer look like a greaseball every day.

While my hair isn't perfect yet, I think after 2.5 weeks I am almost out of the woods. My hair is incredibly soft right now even though it doesn't look great. Hopefully in another week or two it will be shiny and perfect!

That's it for my update, I'm sorry there are no pictures in this post. I didn't really see the point at this stage, my hair just looks like hair.

5 comments:

  1. about 2 years ago I use to flat iron my ringlet curly hair every day. I still prefer my hair straight but I needed to stop doing so much damage. My hair was always long, mid to lower back length but it was splitting and getting dry and it wasn't growing past that. So I decided to reduce heat styling to 3 times per yr, I stopped using sulfate shampoos and shampoo once a week, I also deep condition with a dryer attachment cap once per week and I use a lot of leave in conditioner and sometimes oil treatments. since then my hair has grown to tailbone length, and it is healthy and thriving. I also never color my hair or use chemicals so that helps. I think when I flat iron the next time I will do a post on healthy hair tips.

    http://diaryofatrendaholic.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't imagine wanting to flatten those curls!!! I hope you are happy with them now, I would kill for hair lie that!

      Delete
  2. Hey there, stopping in (by way of brightest bulb, where I found your blog in the comments...) I do baking soda and vinegar for my hair as well and after a couple of years I've got a great routine for it. I have fine hair that stylists are always recommending "thickening" shampoos and conditioners and sprays for. If I condition my hair, it immediately gets heavy and weighed down. If I don't condition it, it looks limp with flyaways. That's my normal hair profile. The baking soda and vinegar have worked wonders for it!!

    What I do is this: big ~32 oz red plastic cup that stays in my shower. I put a couple tablespoons of baking soda in the cup before getting in the shower, then once my hair is wet I fill the cup about halfway with warm shower water and dissolve the baking soda by mixing it around with my hand. Pour onto head, scrubbing into scalp with fingers, tilting your head around until you've poured it onto more or less all sides. Rinse out. Also rinse out the plastic cup. I keep a capped plastic bottle of cider vinegar in my shower and pour in the equivalent of about 1 tablespoon of vinegar to the large plastic cup. I fill the cup up 3/4 of the way, so the vinegar is really dilute, and I dump it over my head. Rinse immediately.

    The baking soda is a base and the vinegar is an acid. You need the vinegar/acid step after the baking soda, so don't skip it! Just make the vinegar dilute. You shouldn't smell like a salad when you're done. Just a little vinegar diluted in a lot of water will still lower the pH of your hair and scalp. but without hitting one patch of scalp and making it look greasy. When I discovered the "very dilute tablespoon" my hair was suddenly glossy and smooth but not greasy. If you stop after the baking soda step, your hair will be weirdly dry and "chunky" and dull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the tips! I will be using your method next time I wash my hair! :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, I don't think I could cope without shampoo....well done!!!
    I've always had good hair, and while I was pregnant, my hair was amazing - everyone told me that I'd start to loose hair after giving birth, and I didn't believe it - but then a month ago it started to fall out, so many hairs every day, that I now feel my otherwise thick hair is thinning a lot, so I hope it will stop soon!!

    http://beautyandlifestylehunter.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete